Thursday, April 14, 2022

Our Present Comfort

(by Lorie Codispoti)

“Look how far you’ve come.”

“Everything’s going to be okay.”

If I had to pick two phrases I can hardly stand hearing, these would be listed among my top five.  

The words have a tendency to feel comfortable on the tongue, so I understand the tendency to invoke the familiar. But, it’s like the needle of a record player that finds a comfortable divot in a well worn vinyl record. (Remember those?) Like a broken record, it settles into the space and repeats over and over until you want to take a sledge hammer to the ensemble. 

People can be like this. They hope to comfort by repeating familiar phrases, but it seldom works. I usually try to prepare myself and smile through the urge to scream when I hear these well worn, well intentioned cliches.

And, truthfully, there is a time and place for these statements. We all need to be reminded of how far we’ve come, and that there is a greater glory that awaits - a glory that will dwarf every bit of suffering we endure in this life. The reality of these truths, however, is not minimized by the fact that they bring no comfort whatsoever when spoken at the wrong time. Gasoline is needful, but not when poured on a fire. 

Here’s the problem: When you are in the middle of intense anguish, trying to fix your mind on the past (how far you’ve come), or the future (things will be okay) simply does not work. How many fire fighters do you know who bring a sqirt gun to a blazing house fire? 

My pain is present and the comfort I need must also be present if it is going to strengthen me for the battle.

Here’s the solution: Our ever-present Comforter. 

God knows when to remind us of how far we’ve come and encourage us with what’s ahead, but He also knows the importance of reminding us that He is present with us in the fire. 

Remember what happened when the fire was fueled for those three Hebrews who refused to bow to the king’s edict? Did their friends show up during visitation hours and point out how far they’d come, and assure them that everything would be okay? No. In fact, I only read about One visitor - the One who was their “very present Help in time of need.” (Psa.46:1) God is not the Friend who visits with empty platitudes. He’s the Friend who says, “I’ll get in there with you and whisper words of life into your spirit."

When God gets in the fire with us, His words of strength bring the needed comfort to our hearts. True, they are words that reflect the goodness of the past, and instill hope for the future, but the difference is that they are given while being present in the furnace with us. Only God has the power to do that. His is the only record whose divot I welcome. 

Before the risen Messiah ascended, He assured His disciples that He would always be with them. (Mtt.28:20) He could offer this assurance because He alone paid the price for it. He was willing to take our sin upon Himself, which would separate - for the first and only time - He and the Father, in order to guarantee that we never, ever, ever, have to experience that kind of separation from Him.  

"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. (Zeph.3:17) (One of my very favorites to remind me that God is present and mighty “in the midst” of the flames.)

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isa.41:10)

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (Deut.31:8)

"I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." (Psa.16:8)

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." (Psa.23:4)

The next time you plan to visit a friend who is suffering through a tormenting trial, memorize the lyrics on this record. Set the needle in the groove so that it repeats over and over in their mind. These Words will get in the fire with them, remind them of “how far they’ve come,” and assure them that “everything is going to be okay” - all because of Who is present with them in the furnace. 

GloryUsgate.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment