Thursday, February 10, 2022

Remember

(by Lorie Codispoti)
The word “remember” is referenced in the book of Psalms more than any other book in the Bible. How fitting.
Psalms is a book of poetry that was often set to music. There are psalms of praise, thanksgiving, lament, and victory. It was written over a period of a thousand years by multiple authors. Every generation is reminded to remember - to go back and recall the greatness of our God and His unending faithfulness in our lives.
Why do we need to remember? Simple: because we forget!
How many times do we read about the children of Israel forgetting God and the devastating consequences that followed? Yet, every time they stopped to remember and repent, God showed up in the most incredible ways. That’s His faithfulness on display.
Sometimes the darkness of a circumstance feels incredibly hopeless.
“I cried out to God with my voice; and He gave ear to me. In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; my hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; my soul refused to be comforted.” (Psa.77:1-2)
I used to be deathly afraid of the dark. Now I sleep with an eye mask and have no fear. How was I able to do that? By remembering that though the darkness appears to block out all the Light, it is still very much there. All I need to do is take off my mask to see it.
Psalms makes it clear, that the way forward starts with going back.
“I call to remembrance my song in the night; I meditate within my heart, and my spirit makes diligent search… And I said, ‘This is my anguish; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High.’ I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember your wonders of old.” (Psa.77:6, 10-11)
Darkness is loud; have you ever noticed that? It screams in its attempt to make you forget and lose your bearings. Darkness can also be loud because it is mixed with our cries for relief.
Darkness screams, but the awesome thing about our God is that He is tuned in to the cries of His children. And when He hears us He does something amazing. His Spirit brings to our remembrance the songs of His presence and promises. And these songs also do something amazing: they deafen the darkness, rendering its influence over us powerless.
The next time you find yourself in a dark place, open your Bible to the Psalms and sing your heart into remembrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment