Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Cut It Out

(by Lorie Codispoti)
I absolutely love to write, and over these last few years the Lord has used it like a lifeboat, keeping me afloat in turbulent waters. BUT, there is something about the writing process that I really, really, really don’t like. It’s when I begin to edit and find that I have to cut some of my favorite parts. I get so attached to my words, phrases, and paragraphs. And, I assign great value to the time spent researching and verifying the stories I use in many articles. So you can see why the cutting process feels incredibly personal. Cuts are hard, but they are also critically important.
I wonder if the New Testament writers felt this way.
It was the beloved Apostle, John, who noted that, “Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” (Jn.21:25)
How many rough drafts do you think John had? Did he wonder why he had to leave out some of his favorite stories? I can hear his prayer now, “But God, this was such an amazing event. Don’t you want me to at least mention it? I mean, listen to how I can word this story...” Nope! Chop, chop, chop.
You know what though? Life is filled with cuts. We may really like something; it may even be something of great value, but if we trust the One who controls the wind, then we know He has charted the right course for our lives. It’s critical for us to realize that the things we try to save could actually be things that will slow us down, or even sink our boat.
“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Heb.12:1-2)
To “lay aside” literally means to cast off. It's a much stronger idea than simply setting something to the side.
Can you hear the voices of those who have gone before us? They're standing on the shoreline, encouraging us to cast off, lay aside, and cut ties with everything hindering our journey home.
The Apostle John may have had much more he wanted to say - many stories he wanted to tell - but He had to rely on God when he put pen to paper.
God makes every cut count. Trusting that each one lightens our load gives us a clearer vision for what lies ahead.
We will have all the time in the world to hear about the amazing stories that we missed. Maybe it’s part of what those on the shore are shouting, “Hurry up! I can hardly wait to tell you about…”

No comments:

Post a Comment