Monday, October 31, 2022

The Mysterious Spot

(by Lorie Codispoti)

One day I noticed an oval shaped spot on the seat of my husband’s recliner in the den. It looked like some kind of oil. But that wasn’t the biggest mystery.
The thing that had me scratching my head (for weeks) was that this strange spot kept reappearing. Every week I noticed a new spot in the same location on his chair. I’d clean it one week, only to find it was back again the next. I was completely baffled.
If I was a superstitious person I’d of been sufficiently creeped out. But I’m not. I knew there had to be a logical explanation, so the super sleuth within went to work investigating this strange phenomenon. (I may not have a forensic lab at my disposal, but Sherlock would have been impressed with my observation skills.)
Did I eventually solve the mystery, you ask?
You betcha!
I was right about the oil, but the day I discovered how it was being transferred to the seat of John’s chair was the day I stopped trying to clean it off.
You see, every Saturday my dear husband spends the entire day in his office studying and preparing to preach on Sunday. I try to keep the house quiet and myself from interrupting him, but I needed to do a load of laundry one Saturday and that meant walking through the den to get to the laundry room. As I did, I noticed something I will never forget. John was kneeling at his recliner with his head on the seat. He was so deep in prayer that he never heard or saw me passing through.
I was right in that the spot was oil, but if I had not seen his forehead pressed into the leather on his chair, I’d of never guessed that this was the source of the mysterious spot.
“The measure of a man is not so much how tall he stands but how low he kneels.” (J. Otis Yoder)
Now, each time I pass John's recliner I’m reminded of the godly man who faithfully seeks the Lord’s guidance and blessing on behalf of those he ministers to each week. It has left an indelible mark that can never be erased.
Jesus said, “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” (Mtt.6:5-6)
I’m pretty sure that there were no leather recliners in the rooms that Jesus referenced, but if there were I bet they’d all have defining prayer spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment