Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Enduring List

(by Lorie Codispoti)

“Make a list of your enemies.” the author wrote.
Those instructions grabbed my attention. I thought, “Hmm, would I list disease, poverty, corruption, violence, etc., including all seven things the Bible says God hates?” (Prov.6:16-19) Certainly, they would qualify as things we battle.
Then it occurred to me that none of these things answer the question. I only have one enemy - the list is simply the result of his activity in our broken world.
What if I flip the question & ask myself to make a list of my allies? Hmm, how could I possibly include everything on this endless list of blessings? … home, family, friends, church, country, a good job, nutritious food, easily accessed care (medical, military, police, firefighters, etc.). Perhaps I would cite the sunshine & the beauty of nature as an ally. I'd certainly include heroes of the faith.
Then it occurred to me that none of these answer this question either. I only have one Ally - my list is simply the result of His activity in a broken world.
After pondering both lists my heart landed on this glorious truth... The biggest difference between my enemy & my Ally, as it relates to their activity in our broken world, is that my enemy & all his activity has an expiration date! My Ally, on the other hand, is everlasting. He has a plan that will result in fixing our broken world. His activity will continue, and involve restoring, renewing, & recreating everything from His original design.
Only one of these lists will endure, as will our Ally, King Jesus.
I like compiling lists, so I hope to continue recording all the wonders our King has planned for us.
“Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” (1Cor.2:9)
I’m gonna need a lot of paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment