Tuesday, February 9, 2021

To Know, Love & Follow

(by Lorie Codispoti)

“Day by day… Three things I pray…”
Who remembers this popular song from the 1972 musical, Godspell? I never saw the musical but the song remains a catchy tune in my head to this day.
The 1970’s may seem like a long time ago, but the origin of these lyrics actually trace much further back. History records that as the 13th century English bishop, Richard of Chichester, lay dying, he wrote this prayer…
“Thanks be to you, my Lord Jesus Christ, for all the benefits which you have given me, for all the pains and insults you have borne for me, 0 most merciful Redeemer, Friend, and Brother. May I know you more clearly, love you more dearly, and follow you more nearly.”(The phrase "day by day" was added when it became a hymn.)
While my thought is that Richard was fixed on the eternity that lay before him, I like the idea of using his prayer as a daily petition that seeks to “know,” “love,” & “follow” Christ. The prayer then becomes part of my desire to be more like Him on this side of eternity.
The other thing I really like about Richard’s prayer is the progression of his requests…

TO KNOW THEE MORE CLEARLY
When we surrender our lives to Christ, exciting things begin to happen in the soil of our hearts. We’re no longer content with vague, generic descriptions of our Savior. We’re no longer satisfied with reading interesting facts about Him, or studying great works of art that depict famous events in His life. Our desire shifts as His Spirit seeds & waters a lifetime quest to KNOW Him more CLEARLY.
TO LOVE THEE MORE DEARLY

As we learn more about who God is our LOVE for Him becomes as dear to us as the life giving refreshment we would find under the ever-blooming, outstretched canopy of a beautiful tree. Love grafts us into Himself, assuring us that the more time we spend under the shade of His glory the more DEAR our LOVE for Him becomes.
TO FOLLOW THEE MORE NEARLY

When a breeze blows through the Master’s garden, it picks up & carries His scent through the air. A believer who has purposed to “know” & “love” the Gardener hears His voice in the wind. It whispers the call to “Come & follow Me!” Our desire is to FOLLOW so NEAR that His fragrance permeates our being & infuses us with His scent.
Dear Lord, three things I pray…
In a world that wants to skew Your image, refresh me with your attributes that I may KNOW you more clearly. In the heat of the desert, lead me to the shade of your canopy that I might be revived & enjoy LOVEing You more dearly. When the stench of sin & death saturate the land, bathe me in Your fragrance so that I not only want to FOLLOW you more nearly, but I want to share your scent with those soaked in the polluted air. May I be reminded that meandering through the garden of Your immeasurable beauty gives me a taste of what eternity will be like in the fullness of Your unveiled presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment